Purpose of the Tool: To help you move towards freedom and peace of heart.
Background on the Tool: In the fourth step of humility Benedict offers a way to meet and move through the difficult times in life. Instead of letting our negative thoughts control us and lead us into more destructive thinking, we can discover ways to persevere and endure.
The Tool: Here are some questions for reflection.
- Bring a difficult situation to mind. We all have them. What are your thoughts about the situation? How does it impact your life?
- As you say, ―I will persist, persevere, endure this‖ what thoughts surface for you? For me it can be, ―Grrrr. I don‘t want to endure.‖ Acknowledge and gently accept how you feel.
- Identify some ways that you can care for yourself in the midst of this situation. What do you enjoy doing? How can you carve out some time for this? Is there something that you need to ask for that will help?
- What might you be experiencing or learning that you can share with others to help them in their difficult situations?
- Is there a verse of scripture or other writing that could remind you of God‘s presence?
- What might you need to let go of to be at peace within this situation?
Remember what Benedict says—“Place your hope in God alone.” RB 4.41
© 2011 The Rev. Dr. Jane A. Tomaine